#califabrics, #DIY, #fabricoutletsf, #handmade, #simplicity1538, #simplicitypatterns, Cali Fabrics, califabrics, Fabric Outlet, Sewing, Tailored Shirt

A Tailored Shirt for the Fall from Simplicity 1538

P1000905

Bonjour from southern France!  I just finished sewing this tailored shirt using Simplicity 1538, view B.  This was the first time that I’ve made a shirt from this pattern and I am so pleased with the results.  This is a great pattern for a fitted shirt.  I’ve already purchased fabric to make it again!

Simplicity 1538 Pattern Cover

The fabric I used was from my stash; I purchased it last year at Fabric Outlet (or online at Califabrics) in San Francisco.  I like this all-cotton fabric because it goes well with wool vest that I was knitting, as well as other pieces in my wardrobe.  I just finished knitting this wool vest and I love how it looks with my new shirt.

P1000908

I started out by making a muslin.  The only alteration I made was to shorten the arms by two inches.  Making a muslin takes extra time, but what I love about the process, besides the fact that the final product fits perfectly, is that the muslin fabric pattern pieces will last forever and I can use them over and over again to make a custom-fit garment.

Below is the muslin piece for the front of the shirt.  I always cut the perimeter of my muslin pieces wide, about 2 – 3 inches, to allow for any modifications to the fit.  Once I determine the sewing lines, I use a compass to draw a 5/8″ seam allowance and then I cut along that line.

Muslin front piece

This is the sleeve piece, modified by shortening.

Sleeve Muslin

All of the seams are flat-felled seams.  I think the inside of this shirt looks as nice inside as it does on the public-facing side.

P1000514

P1000512

The flat-felled seam attaching the sleeve to the body was the most difficult and lots of pins enabled me to make a nice seam on the first pass.

P1000447

The collar and collar stand were easy to attach.

P1000508

The collar, yoke, front plackets, and cuffs are all top stitched.

P1000509

I used buttons that I bought at a tag sale.

P1000454

P1000510

Here’s the back of the shirt.  There is just a bit of gather in the middle.

p1000520.jpg

P1000907

Have you tried this pattern? I’d love to hear your thoughts on it.

Thank you for visiting my blog!  Merci et au revoir!

 

 

 

 

 

#Butterick 6446, Butterick 6446, Cali Fabrics, Dress, Fabric Outlet, Gingham, me-made, Sewing

Butterick #6446 – Blue Gingham Dress

After a summer of sewing for other people and for our new home, I decided it was time to make a dress for myself.  I love gingham and I thought that Butterick B6446, a dress with a large sash tied in a bow in the front, would be the perfect match for this lovely light blue gingham fabric that I bought recently at the Fabric Outlet in San Francisco.

P1000329 (2)

I made view B.   I made a muslin first and I am really glad I did because I made some enhancements to the fit.  I shortened the left panel of the bodice, lengthened the bodice and added curve to the bodice sides.  The muslin dress ensured fit before I cut the gingham and began construction.  The result is a dress that fits me really well and is very comfortable.   An added bonus to making a muslin is that I now I have fabric pattern pieces that I can use to make this dress again and they will hold up well for years. Making the muslin took time and thankfully I really enjoyed the process and the end result.

I lined the entire dress with a white cotton, also from the Fabric Outlet.  I followed the instructions to line the bodice.  This skirt is unlined, however it seemed odd to line just the bodice and not the skirt.  So I matched the pattern for the skirt lining exactly to that for gingham skirt.  Other sewists used the skirt pattern for view A (no pleats in the skirt of this version) to cut the skirt lining.  I may try this when I make this dress again.  In order to perfectly match the gingham at back zipper, I sewed in the zipper in by hand using a prickstitch.

P1000325

P1000341 (2)

At the same time that I was making this dress, I bought a new camera!   Thanks to Gillian of  Crafting a Rainbow I learned that some sewing bloggers actually take their own pictures!   I don’t know why this was such an “ah ha” moment for me, but it was.  So I decided one day to play around with the camera and take a few pictures of my new dress.  Gillian has tons of great information on photography for sewists.  Visit her blog posts on photography at Better Pictures Project.

Butterick 6446

P1000242

It was a beautiful day yesterday, perfect for visiting a local park.

P1000277 (3)

 

P1000283 (2)

This is a great dress pattern and one I will definitely make again.  But now it is time to focus on my next project.

Thank you for visiting my blog!