I recently purchased this 100% cotton double knit, double bubble gum pink fabric at Stone Mountain and Daughter in Berkeley, California to make a muslin for dress I planned to sew using Simplicity D0657/8375 pattern. I found this fabric upstairs where all of the fabric is half price. So I got a double deal – the fabulous quality that Stone Mountain and Daughter is famous for and at a very low price. I bought 2.5 yards. I selected this fabric not for the color, but because it is exactly the same cotton double knit as the striped fabric from which I will make the final dress. I purchased the striped fabric at Stone Mountain and Daughter on the main floor. If you are a fan of French brands Saint James or Armor Lux, you’ll love thick striped cotton knits at Stone Mountain and Daughter. I happen to love pink, so this purchase of this muslin fabric was a win-win for me!
Originally I planned to make the long sleeve version of this dress, but then I thought it might look more like a nightgown instead of a dress, so I altered the sleeves to come right to my elbows and I added a curve to the waist of the dress, bringing it in about three inches from the original silhouette.
The dress was simple to make with my Viking serger for the main seams and my Bernina hemstitch foot for the hem. I referenced this post, Life of Janine’s blog post on attaching a neck binding to make an easy neck binding with a straight stitch and a zigzag. This is a really great post that Janine created!
What I discovered from making this muslin was that I love this cotton double knit fabric and the dress! However it isn’t the right pattern for the blue and white stripe double knit fabric that I had planned to use. I am so glad I made this muslin; the final striped dress will be exactly what I want. I love this pink dress, even though it is a muslin. It’s perfect for a casual warm, arid day in the California sunshine. I know I’ll use this pattern again. It is easy and it makes a great casual dress.
I had a little over a yard of this fabric left over after making the muslin dress and this shade of pink matched a number of skirts I’ve made. So I decided to use the remaining fabric to make a sleeveless bodysuit using my tried-and-true pattern, Simplicity 8435. You can read more about other bodysuits I’ve made with this pattern by clicking on this link: Base Layer Bodysuit – Simplicity Pattern 8435
Below is the bodysuit with a reversible skirt I made from Love Jill patterns. I wear this skirt often and now I will wear it even more because I have this top that matches both sides perfectly.
Sewing this bodysuit reminded me of another reason why I love making my own clothes – I can add embellishments, like this lingerie picot elastic, which I used along the leg openings.
The original neckline for this pattern has a Henley placket with snaps, which I love. But this time, I made a scooped neckline that I drafted myself. Again, I followed Janine’s tutorial (link is above).
In keeping with the pink theme, I’ll share a picture of peonies that I painted for my parents 60th wedding anniversary while I was sewing these two garments.
This sewing project emphasized to me how important it is to take the time to make a muslin to ensure perfect fit and to confirm that the pattern and fabric are the right match. The added bonus this time was a new dress that I love and a bodysuit which fills a need in my wardrobe.
Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Please leave me your thoughts in the comments section below. I love to hear from you! Merci et au revoir!